- How I Help
- Strategic Selling via Tracking Your Account Activity and Status Using The “Sales Contact Performance Profile” Form! [ARTICLE]
Strategic Selling via Tracking Your Account Activity and Status Using The “Sales Contact Performance Profile” Form!
Whether you are working an involved selling situation with multiple influencers or decision makers or engaging solely one other person, understanding the critical decision points, timelines and break-points is critical to establishing your relationship and closing the sale.
The seasoned sales professional understands the significance of information, determining how much one knows concerning any specific account or contact, what competing factors are you selling against (competition, apathy, complacency, urgency, etc.), and recognizing any areas of information deficiency.
Consider a time when a sale was missed or lost due to a lack of knowledge with an account or with the contact suspect-prospect, incorrect point-of-contact, missed decision makers in the buying process. Conversely, recognize a time when a sale was made based upon knowing some specific piece of information that the competition lacked – or merely something that someone else failed to recognize or ask!
While some sales professionals maintain in inherent mental “flow chart” of critical information points known to them to attain in the due-diligence phase of a selling activity or prospecting phase, most beginning and junior sales professionals many times miss this valuable step to sustained selling success.
Consider your mental selling profile of questions you ask or characteristics you know must be present to be engaging a qualified contact, now ask yourself, “do I have a written template I work from on each account or contact?”
Any thorough profile analysis form should focus questions in several areas:
- Actual account contact demographic data profile (i.e. like presented via the last column #50 and a database profile form sample)?
- Background and historical profile data?
- Performance profile relational questions concerning the sales professional relationship with the core decision makers and the sales professional position in relationship to making a Close?
- Time line with the core decision makers around wanting to make a buying/joining decision?
Whether utilizing an electronic or old school printed document, using a tracking form on involved accounts and contacts, or with multiple decision makers, large product/service acquisitions whereby a client makes the buying process a very involved activity, or a simple one-on-one decision maker about joining your organization, this can accelerate your selling and closing ratios!
On the following form sample, the first two sections are self-explanatory Q&A observation points, conversationally gathering or re-confirming this information is rapport building. In the third section, you are scoring your point of contact against first the four decision makers to any buying or commitment selling to ensure that no decision has been over looked. The second score is to objectively recognize your presentation position with these individual(s) for making a sale, as opposed to any hidden competition points.
By recognizing what you really know and what you may have over looked, you can determine where you are at any given time in respect to:
- Making a sale
- What your relationship is with the client or contact
- What your strength with the client or contact is in relationship to competitors
- How loyal you are to the client or contact (based upon the volume of knowledge the you have) and how loyal the client may be to you (based upon how little they know about you).
- Social Media sites that the other party posts to can give you valuable historical perspective and potential glimpses into where their future aspiration trajectory may be …
- Historical Data in your electronic files, data bases, documents, or in-active accounts folders with respect to any prior interactions with that account or contact and your organization, can give you valuable historical perspective and potential glimpses into where their future aspiration trajectory may be …
- Peers that you work with or supervisors (business leaders and owners) can give you valuable historical perspective and potential glimpses into where their future aspiration trajectory may be …
- Competition Analytics can give you valuable historical perspective and potential glimpses into where their future aspiration trajectory may be …
This can aid you in gaining a better more thorough understanding of the other person in respect to their needs, pain-points, urgency for a solution (your solution), and how an association with you will serve them well both now and into their future.
Your ability and need to make the best strategic use of such a profile form, should become a normal self-management activity. Whether you are engaged in B2B, B2C or P2P relationship building, selling, marketing or COI creation, the data flow from this Strategic Sales Performance Profile (SP3) or a creation of your own is essential in business and market development and keeping yourself situationally aware of what is happening in your market and with your accounts or contacts.
If you do not have such an instrument review this one for what areas are relevant, what areas do not apply, and add the appropriate areas for what you do that are missing. If you computerize/electronically create this step even better!
"If you are looking to master the sales process to propel your career or your company forward, We have several great programs for you!"
Program Options For
Sales MasteryMore Ways Jeff Can Help
Get instant access to our online training program designed to help you grow at your own pace.