- How I Help
- What Does RIGHT Look Like? [ARTICLE]
What Does RIGHT Look Like?
When you evaluate the actions, behaviors and characteristics (ABCs) of the super achievers in any vocation, capacity or position, you begin to recognize what right looks like. Only when you actually have objective, reality-based analytics of what right looks like for what you are doing, can you benchmark excellence from rhetoric and calibrate your every second of the day for excellence at the end of the day!
The one thing I have observed unfortunately in far too many industries, vocations and positions is the old mantra of "the blind leading the blind" and in face what I have actually observed in far too many instances are quantifiably inept individuals being placed into positions to train, influence and make policy over what professional selling individuals are supposed to execute.
So, what does right look like? Consider these matrix:
- Start With The End In Mind - If your organization already has a matrix by which everyone is evaluate and from which one person rises to the top award, citation, medal, accommodation (Chairman's Award, President's Cup, Directors Award, Million-Dollar-Roundtable, Etc.)? Then evaluate the ABCs of that person and determine how you do the same as a minimum?
- Certification - What is your position had a certification process, then would you be able to attain it and maintain it daily? Are you or would you be in compliance with the qualifications? Typically, in any legitimate trade there are certifications that ones' industry would have and or levels of growth carry higher and higher levels of validation. Think what does an Engineer, Lawyer, CP have to accomplish to gain their initial credentialization and then what must they do as a minimum annually to maintain that credentialization or license to practice their craft? As a selling professional how would you structure your professionalism?
- Work Product & Frequency - Do you really know what the work products that must be done for minimum effectiveness and maximum performance success? Then once those are quantifiable, have you done the math to determine the frequency of each work product?
- Shadow Time - Do you get the opportunity to network, intern, serve as an apprentice or shadow fellow great achievers to learn from them and develop mental models of excellence to calibrate your ABC off of?
- Training Time - Do you have a clear set of sequential, chronological talent development pathways for continuous learning and improvement in your craft? Is this set to a calendar so you know, regardless of what you employer provides, what you must do annually to maintain viability?
- Funnel Time - Do you an understanding of every aspect before, within and after the selling funnel or selling pipeline and what strategically one must do to have fluid constructive activities and productive applications for lead flow, market awareness and client/sale cultivation?
- Product Knowledge Time - Do you have a working understanding of the breath of deliverable's you have to offer and how this influences your ability to see the market potentials?
- Administrative Time - Do you understand and possess the most effective understanding of the business-of-the-business side of what you do? Do have a list of KPI (Key Performance Indicators) from the proven achiever in your space, as to what must be done, when it must be done, and ways to pre-identify the hurdles that could derail your success and have predetermined work arounds to them when they rise?
- Entrepreneurial Time - Are you a practitioner of your business or do you possess the ability to be the innovator to the business?
- Synergistic Time - Do you understand how everything that you do has interconnectivity? Do you leverage what you do and who you know for accelerated growth and pure ROI?
- Etc. ...
It is human behavior, psychology and pathology to resist anything one feels is going to be restrictive or punishing in nature. For the past thirty-years I have done this exercise within the pharmaceutical industry, transportation (automotive, motorcycle, car services), hospitality space (restaurants, hotels, resorts, airlines), construction and manufacturing, as well as the professional services industry (accounting, legal, consultants, contract trainers in the talent space), to insurance and real estate. In 2000, one of America's largest selling organizations asked me to help them in determining exactly how you could create an environment by which super star sales professionals could be created, replicated and sustained. For the next 20-years everyone that followed the model succeeded. And, in every case whereby people failed to achieve success, the model is a validated reverse analysis, go through the formula and everything that was to be done, was not.
So, what does right look like for you? Evaluate what right looked like for anyone historically within your organization, vocation or industry and you will have a clear road map.
"If you are looking to master the sales process to propel your career or your company forward, We have several great programs for you!"
Program Options For
Sales MasteryMore Ways Jeff Can Help
Get instant access to our online training program designed to help you grow at your own pace.